1. What do you think of God when you are praying to him? What do you think he is like? Do you ever feel unable to approach him? Why?
Read Exodus 40:34 – Leviticus 1:1-9
2. What point in the Bible’s story are we here? What has God just done and what has happened to his people? Why? (Exodus 19:3-6)
God’s people have been rescued and he’s told them they are to be a kingdom of priests.
3. What does this show us about why God calls people to know him? How does that affect your life today?
The earth is his and we were created to glorify and serve him.
4. What are some of the strange details you notice in this description of the first offering? What is their significance?
Without blemish / laying hand on head / pleasing aroma to the Lord
Read Leviticus 6:8-13
5. What command is repeated again and again for the priest? Why – what does that represent about God? (Remember, this is at the centre of the place where they meet God)
The fire must not go out. God is at the centre of everything, burning with love and holiness.
Read Hebrews 12:28 – 13:4
6. What does Hebrews say about God’s nature? What effect should that have on us? What worship should be bring with reverence and awe? What does it mean to do these things with reverence and awe?
His kingdom can’t be shaken. We should share God’s love with others and outsiders.
7. Given this is all true about God, what is strange about Leviticus 1:1?
The burning fire of God spoke to Moses from the tent. People weren’t allowed in and offerings were required.
8. How does Jesus make a difference to this?
Jesus’ body was torn apart and he did that to make atonement.
Read Hebrews 10:1-4 & 8-10
9. How does knowing all of this about God change us today? How might it change how we think about God and how we approach him? How does Jesus take away the need for sacrifices?
Everything belongs to God. Our stuff is better in his hands and not ours. The one who owns us is also the one who atones for us. Our choices can be pleasing to God once we trust him. We are only made holy because of Jesus.
Pray, thanking God that God is a consuming fire and that Jesus makes full atonement for us.